Publishing SR AND PA MIIM

Published on August 14th, 2013 | by Hugh Hession


What is the difference between the song and the sound recording copyright?

Always seems to be a recurring question when it comes to music copyrights. A good many people I deal with on a day to day basis are often confused by it.

What is the difference between:

  1. The composition or the “song” copyright, also known as the PA
  2. The sound recording, or what is known as the SR copyright

Check out our new Slideshare presentation on this exact subject! (Click on “Slideshare” on the bottom left corner to go to our Slideshare page).

Copyright Basics: Understanding the Difference Between the Sound Recording (SR) and the Composition (PA) from Hugh Hession


About the Author

owns and operates Emerging Artists Entertainment Marketing & Consulting, LLC - a company devoted to cultivating aspiring music artists, He is also the head of Hession Entertainment Group, LLC (artist management) and the Music Industry Liaison for the artist discovery site, TalentWatch ( He has over 25 years experience in the music business as a performer, composer, producer and artist manager. Hugh holds a BA in Marketing and is a professional member of NARIP and a voting member of The Recording Academy. He often speaks at seminars and workshops on artist development.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Back to Top ↑